Sunday, April 11, 2010

Remembering Dixie

I was at work last night listening to NPR when I heard the sad news that Dixie Carter had died. You may remember her from her Emmy award winning stint on Desperate Housewives a couple of years ago, but, to me, Dixie will forever live in my memory as Julia Sugarbaker, the fiesty, yet always classy, owner of Sugarbaker's Design Firm in Atlanta, Georgia.

Designing Women was a great show for me. I had a good upbringing, courtesy of my grandfather, that taught me to always be willing to fight for what I believed. Julia Sugarbaker personified that, always willing to lose a client that espoused views that were abhorrent to her own morals. The writing on the show was excellent, but Dixie's portrayal of Ms. Sugarbaker was spot on. She was moral without being preachy, conservative without being callous, compassionate without being a push-over. And boy could she rant. I often watched the show just to see Julia go off on some bigot or moron. It was nice to see, even in a fictional setting, someone get their deserved comeuppance.

So, in honor of Dixie Carter, I would like to share a couple of clips, via YouTube, of the wonderful Julia Sugarbaker in action. Enjoy them.



And my favorite clip of all, one that made a great impression on me when I first saw it (sorry about the poor quality).

No comments:

Post a Comment