Monday, May 10, 2010

RIP Lena Horne

This seems to be swiftly becoming the year for losing people that I've long admired.  I just received the news that Lena Horne, one of my favorite artists ever, has passed away at the age of 92.

Starting in New York at the famous Cotton Club, Ms. Horne went on to performances in movies such as Cabin In the Sky and performed the title song for the movie Stormy Weather.  Unfortunately due to the times, Ms. Horne's performance in Stormy Weather was a stand-alone part, designed to be cut out of the movie in the South, where scenes by black performers couldn't be shown.

Ms. Horne was blacklisted during the 50's McCarthy era for her progressive political views.  She went on recording and performing in nightclubs and then participated in the March on Washington in 1963.  She was also a staple on the late 50's and 60's variety shows.

I'm sure there are more comprehensive biographies of Ms. Horne out there, so I'll let you search for them if you wish, but I'd like to share some of my favorite clips of Lena Horne, via YouTube with you.   I love her voice; it was distinctly unique in the world, much like Ella Fitzgerald's.  But where Fitzgerald was an earthly presence on the screen, Ms. Horne radiated royalty.  When she was performing, everyone took notice.  Her bearing was regal, her voice sharp and majestic and her movements deliberate.  She was a true artist, the likes of which we are sorely lacking today.  She will be deeply missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment