Monday, May 24, 2010

Memorial Day

I have a friend who does an internet radio show, playing mostly acoustic, singer/songwriter type music, though he does other genres as well.  Since I am a big acoustic music fan, I started listening to his radio shows and became friends with him and introduced him to new artists and music, which he would feature on his shows.

One year, as Memorial Day was approaching, he wanted to do something a little different for the holiday weekend, so I suggested, as the war in Afghanistan and Iraq were in full motion and Bush had not yet declared "Victory," that he do a weekend of protest music.  Not necessarily war protest, though those types of songs are much easier to find, but all kinds of protest.  To my mind, what better way to honor those who have died fighting for America than to use our First Amendment rights.

I know most people won't agree with me on this; that Memorial Day would be a time of patriotic propaganda meant to glorify fallen soldiers and extoll America's willingness to fight and die for what we hold dear.  That's fine.  Just as I don't agree with most things the Republicans believe (and almost NOTHING the Tea Party believes), diversity is a good thing. 

So in the spirit of how I remember Memorial Day, and in homage to my good friend Larzdapunk, I'll be giving you some of my favorite protest music from now until Memorial Day.  I hope you enjoy it.

Rhen


Tom Paxton and Friends - She Sits on the Table

Nina Simone - I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (Live)

No comments:

Post a Comment